Work & Co
- October 2016 - Present
- Technical Director
EMC Brazilian Research Development Center
- September 2014 - September 2016
- Coordinating (and developing) projects about:
- Simulation+data mining related to Oil&Gas Logistics and Supply-Chains
- Topic mining and sentiment analysis of tweets to identify customer opinion for a Mobile company
- Business intelligence and predictive analytics for a private passenger transport company
- August 2012 - August 2014
- Participation in the Semantics Team, designing and developing a software platform to support Semantic-aware in-house products through hypermedia restful APIs.
- Collaboration with the Recommendation Team to explore and understand the "big data" content produced by Globo.com against the Internet users interaction patterns,
proposing ways in which semantic technologies can enhance traditional recommendation approaches.
- Technical evaluation of candidates for developer positions.
- December 2007 - July 2012
- Design and development of SCP3 SCADA (Supervisor: Kernel, Viewers and IDE) Platform for Petrobras-BA. (C++, Lua)
- Design and development of SA, a multi-protocol (MPL,HTTP) authorization server to monitor SCP3 systems (Python,Twisted).
- Design and development of the SQBS, a Web-based carbon-credit monitoring portal for Instituto Sadia (part-of BrasilFoods). (Python,C)
- Development of an embedded filesystem driver over flash memory for PLC devices. (Rabbit´s Dynamic C)
- Definition of HI´s internal IT policies and tools, backup procedures and server infra-strucutre. (Linux,Python,Shell Script)
That includes the customization of Trac, MoinMoin and some Django-based internal portals.
- Design and development of a IEC61131-3 compliant compiler for SFC (petri net-like visual programming language) and ST (pascal-like language) into Ladder. (Python,C)
- Design and development of P2W, a HTTP based gateway for remote PLC interoperability. (Python)
- Port a proprietary PLC-2-serial Windows device driver to Linux. (C)
- Development of Wireshark´s Lua Extensions modules to decode HI proprietary protocols. (Lua)
- Coordination and co-development of HI's new web portal (Plone, Zope, Python)
- December 1995 - December 2008
- Design of the Clinical Trials Register Platform for Latin America and the Caribbean proposal, presented at the XV Cochrane Colloquium, October 23-27/2007 São Paulo/Brazil, developed under the supervision of Milton Lapido and Abel L. Packer.
- Design of the ISIS Network Based Platform (ISIS-NBP) proposal under contract with Bireme-PAHO-WHO, and under supervision of Milton Lapido, Abel L. Packer, Adalberto Tardelli and Ernesto Spinack. This is a proposal for a scalable architecture to build digital libraries. This proposal was approved by UNESCO.
- Design and development of a MRCP MediaServer (Media Resource Control Protocol) to integrate with CPqD's speech-synthesis engine. Implemented in Python using the Twisted framework, targetting the Solaris platform.
- Design and development of PAC and PGC projects, mentoring SERPRO dev-team for a project comissioned by the Ministry of Education in Brazil. This project aimed to gather data from all (~200.000) public schools in Brazil. It consisted of a lightweight 3-tier Python web app packed to run off-line and self-contained in heterogeneous desktop systems.
- Design and development of software components for CPqD's dotIP Project. A customizable, high-performance and fault-tolerant firewall was built based on Linux/iptables and remote controlled by a Python server that talked directly to the Linux kernel. This project was under contract with StarOne/Embratel.
- Migration of the Telex Network into MS Windows terminal emulators connected through a X.25 network (X.25 and X.28). Design and implementation of telex emulators, X.25 drivers stack (VxD's) and gateway servers. This project was hired by Embratel.
- Design and development of a Real-Time Satellite Signal Monitoring System, hired by COMSAT.
- Design and development of Vehicle tracking system gateway through a GSM network, hired by Controlsat/Schaim.
- Web Site of the 10th WFPMA/CONARH, hired by Carlson Wagonlit.
- Consulting services for CCUEC Unicamp about Java and Database access optimizations.
- CRM System - Desktop and Web versions.
- Troubleshooting network traffic and profiling applications -- several clients (Windows and Linux platforms).
- Software for monitoring and analysing local area network traffic.
- Multi-threaded gateways and Windows 95 VxD device-drivers for dial-up X.25 PAD, TAPI, X.25, X.3, X.28 e X.29 ITU-T.
- Virtualizing Windows Serial Ports and redirecting data to X.25 device-drivers.
- Automatic translation tool from C/C++ header files into Object Pascal.
- Zope and Plone brazilian web portals.
Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Campinas (PUC-Campinas)
- February 2002 - December 2003 (in parallel with my work at GPr)
- Teacher at Computer Engineering Courses - Algorithm Analysis, Data Structures and Introductory Courses to Programming.
- December 1994 - May 1995
- Design and Implementation of Cephalometric Analysis System applied to Orthodontic
- August 1994 - November 1995
- Implementation of Cm Language support libraries (Unix ;C).
Cm was an C-based polymorphic and object-oriented language developed at A-hand Labs before C++.
- Design and implementation of OMT Software Engineering Tool.
Biomedical Engineering Center - UNICAMP
- March 1994 - June 1994
- Partial Implementation of a Neuronal Simulator to study epilepsy.
Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
Computer Science PhD
- July 2006 - December 2012
- Theme: Organization is Sharing: From eScience to Personal Information Management
- Institute of Computing - UNICAMP
Computer Science MSc
- March 1997 - March 2000
- Theme: Computational Reflection
- Institute of Computing - UNICAMP
Undergraduate course in Computer Engineering
- March 1992 - December 1996
- Institute of Computing - UNICAMP
There is more information available at the [wiki:PublicResearch Research Section].
- In 2011, during PythonBrasil Conference, Luciano Ramalho and I were both awarded with the first "Dorneles Tremea Prize" for contributions to the Brazilian Python Community
- First official translation of Guido Van Rossum´s Python Tutorial to Brazilian Portuguese
- Organization of the first Brazilian Python Conference in Campinas/SP
- Founding Member of APyB - Associação Python Brasil
- Minor contributions to Zope, Python, Localizer, Guaraná, Sylpheed-Claws, Werkzeug.
- Python "technology enthusiast and broadcaster".
There is more information at my Advogato Home Page
or at my Public Projects page.
Unfortunately, the majority of my source code production is not in the public domain, I hope to remedy that
after concluding my PhD ;o)
- Proficiency Certificate 1997 (University of Cambridge)
- Certificate in Advanced English 1996 (University of Cambridge)
- Intermediate Level (3 years)
- Beginner Level (2.5 years)
Attended Courses and Conferences
- May 2016, 18th-20th: Microsoft Research Latin American Faculty Summit 2016. Rio de Janeiro, RJ.
- August 2015: EdX,BerkeleyX - CS190.1x: Scalable Machine Learning
- July 2015: EdX,BerkeleyX - Introduction to Big Data with Apache Spark
- May 2015: Coursera - Process Mining - Data Science in Action by Prof. Dr. Wil Van Der Aalst.
- August 2014: Coursera - Exploratory Data Analysis by Prof. Roger D. Peng PhD.
- July 2014: Coursera - The Data Scientist’s Toolbox by Jeff Leek, PhD, Roger D. Peng, PhD, Brian Caffo, PhD (course completed with distinction)
- February 2014: Coursera - Computing for Data Analysis by Prof. Roger D. Peng PhD. (course completed with distinction)
- October 21-25, 2013: "ISWC 2013 - International Semantic Web Conference". Sydney - Australia
- July, 2013: '''Testing and Refactoring'''. Course offered by Industrial and Logic, given by ''Joshua Kerievsky''
- October, 2012: '''Dysfunction & Disagreements'''. Course offered by the Leadership Strategies Institute, given by ''Leslie Stein.''
- April, 2010: Microsoft Cloud Futures - Redmond - USA
- April, 2010: Microsoft External Research Symposium - Redmond - USA
- March 26, 2009: Workshop de Geotecnologias para o Planejamento e Monitoramento da Cana-de-açúcar - FEABRI/Unicamp - São Paulo - SP
- November 19, 2008: II Joint Fapesp/Microsoft Research Workshop - São Paulo - SP
- October 17, 2008: '''Course on Programmable Logic Controllers and HMI''' - HI Tecnologia São Paulo
- October 13-17, 2008: XXIII Simpósio Brasileiro de Bancos de Dados - Unicamp Campinas/SP
- June 27, 2008: Google Developer Day 2008 - WTC São Paulo - SP
- March 24, 2008: I Joint Fapesp/Microsoft Research Workshop - Campinas - SP
- December 13, 2007: 3º Fórum Microsoft de Pesquisa e Inovação - São Paulo - SP
- August 1-3: 2007 '''Introducing Dialogue Games''', by ''Prof. Paul Piwek'' - Unicamp - SP
- May 4, 2007: 1º Windows Academic Days Brazil: Windows Core Architecture: compare and contrast by Dave Probert
- December 14, 2006: 2º Research and Academic Innovation Forum - Microsoft, São Paulo
- September 14, 2005: '''Host Media Processing''', by ''Girish Khavasi'' - Intel, São Paulo
- October 14-16, 1997: '''System Development''' by ''Prof. Kristen Nygaard'' (while visiting Brazil)
- October 13-17, 1997: '''Programming Languages: Past , Present and Future''' by ''Prof. Kristen Nygaard''
- September 3-5, 1997: '''An Object Model to Computational Reflection''' by ''Prof. Maria Lúcia Blanck Lisbôa''
- September 1-3, 1997: '''Object Composition with OBERON''' by ''Prof. Jürg Gutcknecht'' (while visiting Brazil)
- July 8-13, 1996: '''GNU C Compiler''' by ''Richard M. Stallman''
- July 14-15, 1996: '''Building Secure and Reliable Network Applications''' by ''Kenneth P. Birman''
- October 25-28, 1994: VIII Simpósio Brasileiro de Engenharia de Software
Given Courses and Speeches at Conferences
This information is available in the Speeches page.
This information is available in the Research page.